The Big Kahuna and the 1:34.00sec barrier



It was finally here, "The Big Kahuna", back home for the round that started it all for us. Alex was just a " little Guy with a Big attitude the first time we saw those bikes streak across the front straight. I remember the chill as the hair on the back of my neck and arms stood up. Just an eye blink later, here we are, still hard to imagine, a vertical growth curve.

This round turned out a bit different than we had expected, but, so do most things in life. The usual logistical challenges for me along with other happenings which included locking Alex in the trailer by mistake prior to DSB Race #1. I was on the grid cursing when my cell phone went off. I ran all the way back to find him beating on the door from the inside. We barely made the race. That's what happens when you rush, at least no axle bolts have been left loose yet. We were visited by M.T. Robinson, Sergeant First Class, United States Army , the Triangle Cycles Girls, a reporter, a bunch of terrific fans and the ones that pay for it all, a few of my patients.

Qualifying was poor and although the bikes felt ok, we could not get beyond the 1:34 barrier. Alex pushed hard then harder but to no avail. He felt it was "the rider", I felt it was an unknown and we both were quite confused. A defining moment in the search for greatness, a lonely place, an opportunity for growth, call it what you will. We were dazed and confused. Finishes were DSB #1 24th place DSB #2 22nd place SS 16th. Well at least we were not involved in any of the wrecks, the fans at the autograph session were great. Samantha, an umbrella girl for M1 Entertainment and Lauren, umbrella girl for Triangle Cycles helped improve the now "big Guy with a Big attitudes mood" . The Dunlop front tire in Supersport class worked without a flaw, but no explanation could be found for the 1:34 barrier.

Now I have been on several occasions the cause of mishap for Alex, this has been my growth as much as his. Surely, I could not again be the cause for the 1:34 barrier. We went back to VIR a week after big Kahuna to try and sort things out. So after running both bike with all kinds of changes his times were getting worse, what in the blazes was happening. "This kind of reminds me of when we tried to put that slipper clutch in the SV", I said, "remember, I couldn't go any faster and neither could you". "We took the clutch out then everything went back to normal". When was the last time we replaced the friction plates in these bikes? Well the answer was easy, NEVER. We have run an entire season without changing the clutch. So there it was, I was certain, Alex skeptical ,maybe, plain as day, the 1min34 second barrier? The friction plates were worn and glazed the clutch plates blue and purple. The springs were all below limit. Has this clutch been slipping all this time? See you in New Jersey boys...... GO ARMY!!!!