Daytona Recap


Daytona was the first round of the 2009 AMA roadracing season and also my first round as a pro. The weekend kicked off with CCS racing which I used as practice to get used to riding the Yamaha R6 and to help get the bike setup right. This was my first race weekend on a 600 and there was a lot of things to be done to get things rolling. My Dad and I really struggled at the beginning of the weekend with suspension settings and the bike geometry. That's when we ran into Ed Sorbo and he really helped to get us going in the right direction. I learned a lot of valuable information on bike setup and good habits on and off the track. After the CCS weekend ended the AMA weekend started and I must say that I was really excited. We kept working on the bike setup and the lap times kept coming down. I qualified in 16th place for AMA Pro Supersport. This was only my second experience with qualifying, the first time being at the Suzuki cup finals in 2008. I was pleased with the effort and really pumped for the race. At the start of the race my bike stalled out on the line due to a mapping issue but I managed to get it started and chase down the rest of the riders into turn one. The rest of the race went surprisingly well and I managed to fight back to 11th place! Needless to say we were very happy with the way things went, especially since we left with our bikes in tact, in good health, and some valuable championship points. We also came to some important conclusions on what the bike needed to be competitive this season. So that's what happened at Daytona this year. After that, it was off to Road Atlanta!