West Point Graduation Class 2009

Four years ago we sat in a large auditorium while the Cadet in charge addressed the families, "you have 30 seconds to say goodbye".

I stood and looked to see my daughter hugging her mom and brother. When she turned I saw the tears, as I fought my own. I felt her arms around my neck and then, "I love you dad". I heard a voice in my chest tell her, "everything you need is within you, I love you, be proud".

She stepped back, stood straight, wiping her cheeks with the back of her hand. Picking up her bag and walking down the aisle then out the door, she, not once looked back. I could not help but notice how much taller she stood than earlier that morning. I had never felt so empty or been so lost.

The challenges were many, for her, a warriors sacrifice. So it seems days became years and today 23rd May 2009 we sit surrounded by the granite of proud tradition and commitment which is this institution. For moms and dads may think they understand, but only those with the courage to reach beyond their perceived capabilities posses the right to be a part.

The band it played, the names were called, the spirit of all the greats resonated with every drumbeat. I stood and looked, once more battling tears. I saw her face, the ramrod walk, the smart salute. I heard the cheers, saw the friendships, the respect of those equally worthy. She had earned her way to this place, ignoring the long since forgotten and ridiculed skeptics, forever becoming a part of something truly great. Returning to me on this day something long ago lost. I had never felt so proud or been so complete.

With a fathers pride and respect for his little girl,
Congratulations,
2nd Lieutenant Stephanie Ann Lazo
United States Army